Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Real America

Recently my local grocery store underwent a renovation. Today I took my first trip into that store, which we had avoided for years. Why, you ask? Well, simply and shallowly, I did NOT enjoy the company. Specifically, the area has a few problems with illegal immigrants, people living here without knowing English, etc. etc. It's a family prejudice I'm not happy about, but unfortunately due to the highly political nature of my stepfather, the people who don't know English bother me quite a bit. Perhaps it's the knowledge they aren't even making an effort. Whatever the reason, the distaste was there. The utter dislike for the lack of melting-pot mentality they had. They didn't blend, they diluted.

But today, of all days, we went to this store again to see how the inside looked post-renovation. It was like a blast to the past. Sure, the store felt more "homey" instead of that ugly white-tile floor, white ceiling tiles, white metal isles and end-cap look, but that's not what changed my mind about the area.

For once I saw a melting pot. I saw people of many nationalities, most of which were speaking English. There were people of Mexican descent who actually KNEW ENGLISH. It was refreshing, it was incredible. I once again had faith in the melting-pot mentality. Perhaps though, it's not because they're leaving, or changing their ways... Perhaps it's the Avanza supermarket a few streets away, and the Rancho Liboro opening up across the street, but for once the store felt like it did when I was a kid.

I remember back to when you'd walk into a store and see Russians, Germans, Chinese, Brits, Mexicans, Canadians, all together as one community in the same place. Perhaps I noticed it more when I was a kid, but where I grew up there was diversity. I'm not all that old either. I'm seventeen. In ten years, did the world change so much?

I felt the Real America, as it was intended, today.

No comments: